Carrington Middle School used CAPS funding to secure The Magic of African Rhythm for a 13- day residency this September at their school.
Other Durham Public Schools: Merrick Moore, Sandy Ridge, and Spring Valley received CAPS funding for residencies and performance with The Magic of African Rhythm last year school year.
What is CAPS?
Creative Arts in the Public/Private Schools (CAPS), provides an easy-to-use and effective way for educators to integrate the arts into the curriculum. Primarily a partnership between Durham Arts Council and Durham Public Schools, this 39-year program places professional artists in public and private classrooms throughout Durham, Orange, and Granville counties to provide creative and interactive residencies that:
- Teach core subjects (Math, Science, Writing, Social Studies), Character education and a variety of life skills through the arts.
- Meet the North Carolina and National Curriculum course of study requirements.
- Provide students the opportunity to work with professional artists on a variety of visual, literary, and performing arts projects.
- AND MORE! See link: http://www.durhamarts.org/caps_about.html
Funding for CAPS comes from a number of sources:
- Durham Public Schools provides each school with a budget line item for CAPS programs ($2.00 per elementary and middle school student, $1.00 per high school student
- Orange County Schools also provides money for CAPS programs
- Grants available through the CAPS office
- Money collected from students
- Grade level money for buses
- Fundraisers or PTA Special Project Funds
- Business sponsors from parent connections
The cost of each program covers the artist’s fee for preparing and presenting the residency, an Orientation meeting with the participating educators and artist, materials used in the program for students and educators, and an administrative fee to cover administrative costs (Guidebook, brochures, communication with schools, educational materials for PTA’s, principals and educators).
CLICK HERE http://www.durhamarts.org/caps_onlineform.html TO BOOK THE MAGIC OF AFRICAN RHYTHM FOR YOUR SCHOOL TODAY!